In the pre-hospital environment, intraosseous infusion has become a standard of care when the need for rapid vascular access is necessary and peripheral access is unavailable.
Protecting the IO needle has presented many challenges. All too often IO needles can be dislodged, bumped, and their patency affected during patient movement from houses, vehicles, cots, etc.
There is a new solution available to protect the IO needle. It is called the IO KeepSafe and it is like no other product available on the market. The IO KeepSafe will revolutionize the safety and security of intraosseous infusion.
Easy and Safe
The IO KeepSafe fits all three sizes of EZ-IO needles at all currently approved EZ-IO insertion sites. It will also fit the Illinois style needles. After proper insertion, the IO KeepSafe is placed over the top or around the needle and locks into place with a sliding clip. A soft elastic strap is wrapped around the extremity and secured.
The proof is visible
In the past, EMS providers would use any number of methods to secure an IO needle. From bulky dressings, to BVM masks, to copious amounts of tape. All would secure the IO needle to varying degrees, but all limited the visibility of the site to monitor for infiltration, extravasation, etc. The IO KeepSafe with its patented design allows for a clear vision of the IO site and easy access if the need arises.
Why we do this
It’s all about the patient. Securing the IO needle properly, ensuring its patency, and having quick access are all elements of patient safety with regards to the utilization of intraosseous infusion.
The IO KeepSafe was designed by an EMS professional for EMS professionals.
Instructions for IO KeepSafeTM
IO KeepSafe can be used with all 3 EZ-IO® needles, as well as Illinois bone marrow needles.
- 1. Once you have successfully established your IO access, slide fastening clip out to the retention post.
- 2. Position IO KeepSafe over the top of the needle and tubing while ensuring the Velcro® faces the outside of the device. Once applied over the needle and tubing, gently hold pressure on the device.
- 3. Position the Velcro® strap around the patient’s extremity and through the yellow loop to tighten.
- 4. Slide clip into place around the hub of the needle. The IO KeepSafe allows you to monitor the insertion site.
WARNING: Use with caution in the presence of edema
- Single patient use only
- Follow local protocols regarding use
- Patent pending
IO KeepSafe is a trademark of IO KeepSafe
EZ-IO® is a registered trademark of Teleflex Incorporated
Velcro® is a registered trademark of Velcro USA